The concept of waterproofing isn’t something we Southern Californians usually spend a lot of time on,given the amount of rain we get per year. However, when it does rains, it can be several inches over a very short period which can lead to significant water troubles for your property.
Here are the signs, reasoning and tips to understanding this important process.
Signs You Need Waterproofing
- Vinyl shrinkage around windows on window corners
- Gaps Cracks in the concrete curtain wall
- Parapet caps and walls on roof have damaged/deteriorated seals
If you are unsure whether you have problems or not, consider an inspection. In addition, pull out the original paperwork on your roof and windows to determine if they are near end of life.
- Waterproofing materials lifespan:
- Roofs last 5-20 years, depending on the material
- Windows have an expectancy of 15-20 years
If you don’t waterproof your building from time-to-time or ignore the signs listed above, you may experience one or more of the following problems:
- Water seepage which can lead to a build up of mold. Left to its own devices, this blight can turn into black mold, a hazard to any business.
- Moisture that can damage drywall, carpeting, office furniture and technology.
- Musty or mildewed smell throughout the space, which may cause many tenants to leave at the end of their lease.
Overall, waterproofing is a preventative measure that will save you money if done correctly.
What You Can Do Now
Here are three tips that will keep you in good stead with your tenants, save money and keep water headaches away:
- When it rains, look around the inside and exterior of your building.
a.) Do you see any pools of water on the inside of the window frames? b.) Can you see any leaks? Be sure to mark the area, take a photo and note where it is, especially if you are in a large building.
- Hire an inspector.
Every three to five years, it’s wise to have a specialist inspect your building. They should be able to identify and investigate any leaks. A great inspector will work with product representatives to determine the best way to solve your water issue, if you have one.
- Fix the problems right away.
While a waterproofing job may cost more than a typical maintenance project, water damage even more costly and will even disturb the tenants if they have to be relocated. Hiring a caulking andwaterproofing professional company will ensure they will do the job right with warranty documentation.
While most companies may offer some type of warranty with their work, it is important to know that the manufacturer of the sealant being used for caulking requires a field inspection to be done in order to honor it. Waterproofing is a special trade of work and requires properly trained personnel to perform the application. Make sure you get proof of warranty from your contractor through the manufacturer to ensure you’re getting the best value for the costly work being performed.
HSG Can Come to Your Rescue
Our waterproofing experts can do a complete inspection of your building. We work with material experts to provide a comprehensive solution!
We provide caulking, coatings and epoxy injections for all your business areas, including your decks, balconies and parking structures. In addition, we replace or repair sealants. For more information or to receive a detailed quote, call HSG Inc. at 323-733-8552.